Navigation : {Lydney and Pidcocks Canals}

 

Pidcock's Canal was a canal in Gloucestershire, England, which connected ironworks at Upper Forge and Lower Forge, and also ran to an inlet from the River Severn called Lydney Pill. It was constructed from 1778 onwards,[1] and there were three locks below Middle Forge. Following the construction of the Lydney Canal in 1813, the canal connected to that, rather than Lydney Pill, and it was disused after 1840, by which time a railway had been built up the valley of The Lyd. The railway is now preserved as the Dean Forest Railway, and most of the canal, called The Cut, still exists below Middle Forge.

More