Coombe Hill Canal lies in the Vale of Gloucester, south west England, north of Leigh and runs eastwards 2.75 miles (4.43 km) from Coombe Hill Basin to the River Severn near Wainlode Hill. It opened in 1796 and closed 80 years later in 1876, after the only lock was damaged by flooding. The Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust purchased the Coombe Hill Canal nature reserve in 1985 and the area is managed by the Trust. Adjacent to the Coombe Hill Canal is a large area of wet meadowland situated midway between Gloucester and Tewkesbury to the west of the A38, which was purchased by the Trust in 1999. This land and the Canal itself often flood in winter, which attracts hundreds of wildfowl.